One of the biggest decisions when moving is whether or not to hire a moving company. Just like everything involved in moving, this decision should be personally tailored to your needs. Do you have back problems? Do you have a lot of stuff and no one to help move it? Do you have too many events or errands lined up on your moving day? These are all situations where you might want to look into a moving service.
To make it easier, we’re going to break down the advantages and disadvantages of hiring movers or moving everything yourself.
Hiring a Moving Company
- Professional movers can quickly and effectively move your stuff. We’re talking about half the time it would take a non-professional.
- Movers can handle large amount of belongings and have experience moving delicate or hard-to-move items.
- Many companies have insurance to protect or replace your items. If you move yourself and break something, it’s on you.
- A company is better for moving long distance.
- Moving companies come with added fees. You may have to pay extra for insurance or using their tools and packing supplies. In addition to an hourly fee and mileage, that can add up quickly.
- If you’re moving in a hurry, you might not be able to find a good company in time.
- It can be hard to trust strangers with your valuable belongings.
- Moving yourself can be cheaper than hiring a moving company.
- Move on your own time and with more freedom. There is no set day you have to move, so you can pack at your own pace.
- Doing it yourself is better for a quick or close move.
- Hiring your friends or family can just cost a pizza or first dibs on items you’re already planning to give away.
- There are hidden costs of moving yourself—mental/physical stress, injury, lost time/wages, damage to your belongings.
- Renting the wrong truck is easy; you might get a smaller truck and realize you have too many things or are paying for space you don’t need.
- You might not be used to moving and maneuvering items to fit in tight spaces.
- Moving, packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking can absorb a lot of your time.
It boils down to how much effort, time, and money you want to throw at moving. If you want to DIY move, make sure you have enough time and skills necessary to move. If you decide to hire a company, make sure to thoroughly go through all of the prices and fees of moving.